Wednesday 26 January 2011

I want to live life in the fast lane

Of the swimming pool, that is.

I made the mistake of going to the swimming pool when they opened this morning at 6.30. Me and about 20 pensioners. One old fellow swam around in a circle in the middle of the lane. An old lady almost planted her elbow in my stomach in a rush to get to the showers before me. It was a jungle in there this morning. A jungle of fierce, elderly predators.

Had I gone half an hour later, the pool would have been almost empty. Most of the early birds leave the lane then to join a water exercise class. Lesson learned.

I envy the real swimmers in the fast lane, splashing about with their goggles on. They can practise their backstroke without worrying that they'll hit someone (like I did).

The dream of joining the fast lane might not be far from becoming a reality. I swam 1,5 km in just over an hour, and I didn't have to take a break as often, which means that I must be getting faster. I suspect I am not ready to join the Olympics team just yet, but in a couple of months I might at least be able to swim the distance without any breaks.

The sun was just coming up when I left the pool

Yesterday I ran commuted both to and from work. My foot gave me trouble on the way home. I was to see the physiotherapist this morning, but there was a mix-up with the bookings so I'll have to wait until next week. As this is the 11th exercise day in a row, I'll take this as a sign to get some rest. Let's see if I can go two days without exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment