Wednesday 16 May 2012

Where is the fast forward button?


I haven't been at home much the last couple of days. Work was mostly to blame for my absence, but I also had an appointment with an osteopath Monday evening.

I almost missed my appointment because of problems with the tram traffic. I had to jump off the tram when it changed its route and ran down to my connecting bus, a kilometre or so away. As I was approaching my bus stop, I saw the bus coming from a distance and ran as fast as I could, knowing that, if I missed it, I'd be late for my appointment. I made it just in time, with a knee that didn't like the slow-ish pace I'd started running in, but preferred the run-like-hell one I finished with. I myself was pretty happy that it wasn't worse than that, after the torture I put it through last Saturday. I also couldn't help remembering that it was just when I went running to catch the bus that I was inflicted with this runner's knee.



10 minutes later, I walked into the osteopath clinic and into an oasis of calm, a sharp contrast to the rain and traffic chaos outside. Celine's heart was going on and on, and the room was candlelit. I collapsed into an armchair with 5 minutes to spare. It was as if I'd been holding my breath, and now I could finally breathe out. I hadn't had such a treatment before, so I was curious to see what was coming. I was in for a shock. My body was twisted in all sorts of ways, my bones groaning and creaking like an old ship, but I was ultimately relieved to get rid of any lingering stiffness. The verdict was that I'm not as flexible on the right hip (same side as the Bad Knee) as I am on the left. The pain I have in my lower back probably plays into it, too. Stretching, massage and icing is what I need to work with. No magic recipes; just hard work.

Today is going to be a difficult day for me, and I'll be glad when it's over. I know I've hinted at other things going on in my life right now than just my knee, things that aren't fun to think about, and I'm sorry that I can't go into details. I'm not trying to be mysterious or dramatic; they're too personal to write about, yet they have a huge impact on the things I do write about. So there is this huge elephant in the room, but I can only talk about the peanut shells on the floor. But it's kind of why I was so overjoyed that Göteborgsvarvet went as well as it did: a happy thought to hang onto when things get shitty. Some proof that this old body of mine is not out for the count just yet. A mini triumph in the face of adversity.

I appreciate all the comments you have left on this blog and on Facebook with regards to Göteborgsvarvet, they mean a lot to me. I will get back to all of you as soon as possible, hopefully sometime this evening. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Åh tusen kramar till dig! Tänker på dig och tänkte på dig idag!
    Och du kommer igen ;)

    Ja, maran.. Har powerwalkat några dagar nu för att hålla igång lite snällare. Ska köra några lite kortare pass och ett långpass till, men sen får det duga. Jag vågar inte riskera min fot. Och jag VILL klara detta. Deppar ihop annars tror jag. Dels för att jag sagt att jag ska och var på G, men så är det ju min 40-årspresent. Mm, kalla mig gärna knäpp :D

    ReplyDelete