Monday 2 May 2011

Rinse and repeat

You might have noticed that my motivation to write in this blog has been weaning a bit lately. You hadn't? Well, it has. A lot of it has to do with the alternatives being more attractive, for example go for a walk in the sunshine or write on the computer? Gee, let me think. But a larger part of it is because it rarely feels worth it to write a report of my run commute. My lack of enthusiasm when I run the same old round for the umpteenth time would make for a very boring blog post. I would probably go so far as to finish my post with ”yadda, yadda, yadda” and an implied shrug of the shoulders. It's not a path I want to go down.

It is also an accurate reflection of most of my current training. Normally I don't follow a schedule. I run as the mood takes me. Today, for instance, I incorporated some fartlek into my run. It made it more interesting. As in, I didn't die like I feared I would. But most days when I run home from work, I'm too tired to do anything more than the absolute minimum. It's just out of necessity, hardly worth to write about. Who cares, really, if I ran home from work 2 seconds faster than yesterday?

Running, for me, is never more inspirational than when it is spontaneous and free. When I have no time limits, when I don't have to carry a backpack full of clothes, when I'm not tired from a day's work. When I can pick and choose where I run. When I can let my thoughts wander. When I do it because I feel like it and not because I have to. Run commuting serves a purpose in that it takes me from A to B. Its initial charm was that it is so functional: I run because I have to get somewhere and I might as well use my legs to get there, and in the process I collect valuable kilometres. But this functionality is a double edged sword: it takes away the freedom of running, my inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Jag älskar att bara skutta rakt in i vegetationen och ser vart been tar mig. Backe, ljung, myr älskar! :)

    ReplyDelete