Sunday 15 May 2011

Holy VFF idiocy, Batman!

Remember how you're supposed to increase the length of your VFF runs gradually, slowly and very, very carefully? How the general rule of thumb is to increase by 10%? Remember how it was only last Monday I set a new personal VFF record by running 6 km? Well, I kind of broke it today. Big time. And I'm sure there will be hell to pay. Just in time for Göteborgsvarvet.

I was thinking about joining a group of other barefoot runners today (none of whom I've met before) for a short barefoot/VFF run, but the logistics didn't pan out. Also, J told me he was thinking about going for a run. I love running with J, but it doesn't happen as often as I'd like. So I jumped at the opportunity, with my feet in my VFF.


My plan was to run 6 km, to maintain the strength I've been building and to establish a safe foundation from which to veer into longer distances later. J has had problems with his shins ever since he started running, so he was to run/walk the distance, concentrating on technique. I would run ahead when he walked and turn back to pick him up when he ran.

It was not a realistic plan. J runs much faster than me, and I run much faster than he walks. The trail we picked is a loop, and I thought I'd run in the opposite direction, meet him halfway and then run the remaining distance together. But then, instead of turning to run home, he took a detour to the lake and another loop trail. Again, I ran in the opposite direction to meet him halfway, extending my run.


Somehow the planets aligned and I caught up with him after 6,6 km, just as he was starting his walk segment. I'd already run more than I had planned, so I wanted to walk the rest of the way home. But then it started raining. And J had one more running segment left. So we ran together. What with me being 25 cm shorter than J, my poor legs were working overtime to keep up with J's long ones, and the last kilometre took only 4:41 minutes to run.

New VFF record, shattered less than a week after the last one: 8 km. Oh, how I'm going to regret this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment