Friday 12 November 2010

Now I won't have to change the blog title...

...from "Training for Stockholm Marathon" to "NOT training for Stockholm Marathon". That was a relief. Because, you know, I'd have to re-do the banner and everything.

What a difference a short run can make! I ran home from work in the rain, 6 kilometres at snail pace. I even got to test my new backpack and I was thrilled with it. Did I notice the noise from the endless traffic? No. Did I notice that I could hardly see where I was going, because my glasses were all fogged up from all the rain? No. Did I want to keep running? Yes. But I didn't. Because I didn't want to push my luck. The witch doctor seemed to be right about the painkillers, and maybe she was right about taking it easy with training. I took another painkiller when I got home, just to be on the safe side. If I still feel well tomorrow, well...who knows...I might even go for a 10K run!

I am a runner. It is a part of my identity. Certain titles describe us and form an image in other people's minds. More importantly, they define us and we feel safe in them. Accountant or actor. Mother or father. Middle-aged or teenager. Hippy or square. Tall or short. Conservative or anarchist. Just think how lost we'd be without these descriptions.

To describe oneself as a runner, one has to run. How often or how far is less important. However, an injury or sickness can really shake that description. How can I be a runner if I can't run? That is why being able to run today, even if it was a shorter run, made me so happy. I can still call myself a runner. I am still training for Stockholm Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment