Sunday 25 December 2011

Non, je ne regrette rien

It wasn't without jealousy I read how friends and complete strangers bragged about their Christmas day runs on jogg.se. After imbibing one too many alcoholic beverages last night, I have spent the best part of my day on the sofa making like a walrus and lying there motionlessly, entombed in a thick layer of Christmas food induced fat. Finding myself, yet again – as is always the case on the rare occasion I find myself in this situation – wondering why I don't just give up pretending I like drinking and its side effects, and become a teetotaller. I'm practically one anyway. I mean, what a waste of a beautiful, sunny morning. I couldn't even be bothered to go for a walk.

Wine. That's why I'm not a teetotaller.

In case you hadn't already deduced it from the above, last night a great time was had by all. It was Christmas just the way I wanted it (although, like I said, in hindsight I should have stopped after the first bucket of wine and contended myself with the first 10 portions of food, if only to have been able to do something constructive with my day today - overindulgence does not agree with me). This day wasn't completely wasted, though, despite my reluctance towards doing anything more physically strenuous than using the keyboard on my computer. I had started on Terry Pratchett's “Snuff” a few days ago, and it wasn't until today I really got into it. The initial disappointment I'd felt after the first few pages turned into love. A good book should really be read in one sitting to be fully appreciated; reading a couple of pages every night before my eyelids get too heavy and the words stop making sense is not doing any books justice. A full review of the book will of course be coming early in 2012, as part of the Cannonball Read.

Tomorrow we resume our regularly scheduled programme. I'm only 45 or so kilometres away from reaching 2200 km this year and, as you know, I'm a complete geek for even numbers. With less than a week to go before this year's end, it's time to get cracking.

No comments:

Post a Comment