Tuesday 1 February 2011

I'm free to do what I want

Yesterday's run commuting to and from work didn't go so well. In fact, I pretty much hated every second of it. In the (very early) morning I seriously questioned my legs' ability to carry me there. They begged for mercy. I suspect they were still in deep slumber, no matter what my very alert brain was telling me. Then, on my way home, I got such a cramp in my stomach that I had to stop and rest. Despite my difficulties I managed to scrape together a total of 10 km. Then I spent the rest of the evening reading a book on the couch, where I finally fell asleep just after 8. Oooh yeah. Party on.

Today I'm working from 7 to 18 with a half-hour break and an hour of what can loosely be translated as "health promotion". That means that we have an hour to do whatever athletic activity we feel like, and get paid for it. We're entitled to one such hour per week, but with the working conditions being what they are, there just isn't enough time to use this hour every week. Instead, we use it once every three weeks. Hence, it's a precious opportunity that we don't want to miss.

The problem for me, of course, is that I'm knackered. The only activity I can think of that takes an hour, including taking a shower, is running, and my legs are adamant that I will do no such thing. Another thought I'm toying with is going for a walk in my VFFs - gentler on my tired thighs. But weather forecast promises heavy rain and wind, that will start pretty much exactly when my health hour starts. VFFs and winter rain equal very miserable feet.

It is a conundrum. If I can't think of any activity to do, I will have to *gasp* do some work instead...As much as I love my job, even running in the cold rain and headwind with tired legs seems like a better prospect. So I'll prepare for that eventuality and see how tired I feel when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment