Saturday 11 February 2012

Murphy's law


”Anything that can go wrong will go wrong”


I'm not usually a superstitious person. I can walk under ladders, pet black cats and celebrate Friday the 13th because, hey, it's Friday! But I've kept plans about really long runs quiet in the past, because I didn't want to jinx them.

And then I remembered that I'm not usually a superstitious person, and I announced today's ultra from Alingsås to Gothenburg on this very blog, even being cocky enough to suggest I'd run a couple of ultra intervals on top of that (I was only joking, but I obviously provoked the wrath of the universe and got a slap from Jante law anyway). And see what happened!

Headache.
Sleeping terribly last night, with really strange dreams.
Sore throat.
37,3 (which is by no means a fever, but it is a higher temperature than my normal one – and it feels like it's about to get higher).

Lots of people have been sick with the flu at work, so it was really a question of time before I got sick. I mean, how long can you avoid it when you're floating in a cloud of snot particles for 8 hours every day? It's just that I had foolishly thought that I was done with all flu-related illnesses for this year, as I've pre-emptively already had a cold in January. Na-huh. Turns out you can pretty much have a new cold every month! Just like some people have new boyfriends! Oh the indulgence. You're spoiling me.

So, of course, there won't be any running for me today. Funny thing is that I've been saving my legs for this day, when I could have been training. No, wait, that's not funny. Not funny at all, missing two weeks of training with a race coming up in a month (did I just jinx that? Oh crap). What is funny (as in weird) is that rest has made my legs stiff, and all minor annoyances have suddenly become much more prominent. It's as if running has kept all this at bay, and now that I haven't been running for days I suddenly feel like a ship wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment