Friday 8 April 2011

My VFFs are magical

My VFFs are made of fairy dust and angel feathers. There's no other explanation why, as soon as I switched to them from my old Sauconys during today's run, my feet felt lighter, my breathing easier, my step shorter.

3,5 km of a total of 5,5 km were run in VFFs, a small part of those on a muddy forest trail covered in roots and stones. A small but significant part. My favourite part.

Tomorrow, some of my brave running buddies are running from Varberg to Gothenburg, a distance of almost 90 km. My cunning plan is to join them for a half marathon when they've already run about 60 of them and they're tired, so that I look good by comparison. I might even be the fastest one in the group for once. Or at least if I have a headstart of about 10 minutes. I will definitely be the most feminine one. I will be the only woman in the group.

These people have such amazing stories to tell, such unbelievable running feats to brag about – though they never brag. It is always so inspiring to run with them and hear these stories. Hopefully one day I will be strong enough to join them for a real ultra.

But the question on everyone's lips is: seeing as the weather is going to be lovely tomorrow, should I wear my shorter tights for the run?

2 comments:

  1. Need to know more about the VFF's! What's the furthest distance you can run in them? Am reading 'Born to run' at the moment and it talks quite a bit about the VFFs (and barefoot ted). Highly recommend it if you haven't read it before - really inspiring (and tempts me to try ultra running)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Born to run is awesome! There's no limit to how far you can run in them, as far as I know, if you're well trained. But you do have to start slowly and build up your foot strength. I've run 5 km at the most in my VFF but I was a bit too eager and it hurt.
    Have a look at this entry I wrote a month ago:
    http://shaman-dalie.blogspot.com/2011/03/case-for-minimalist-running.html

    ReplyDelete