Thursday 15 September 2011

Out of order



And I was starting to worry that my annual injury was delayed...

Picture by ctbarna
I have rested my thigh muscle for three days, which pretty much meant that I did nothing: no running, no cycling, no climbing. That is frustrating enough; I'm used to doing at least one activity per day. Pure rest days are far and in between. But to add insult to injury (pun unintended but oh so fitting), I can hardly walk. I've been limping all week, not so much because it hurts to lean on my left leg, but in an attempt to let the muscle heal faster. I thought it was working. I thought I would be able to go for a test run tonight.

Two events violently shook me out of this delusion. First, my bus trip into town yesterday. The bus driver suddenly had to brake to let an old lady cross the road, causing me (who had just gotten up from my seat to get off the bus) to stumble and put all my weight onto my left thigh. Ouch.

Then, today after work, as I was walking to the bus stop, I saw the bus just getting ready to leave. Naturally, I started running. Well, the right leg ran. The left one shot pain signals to my brain immediately. My running total for the day: 1,5 meters.

So what's the moral of the story? Well, kids, it's like this. If you make grand plans for the future, like marathons and adventures and ultras and, I don't know, just running a couple of kilometres in the park with your friend who's coming to visit in a few days, all you get is a slap in the face and a ”Ha ha!”

No comments:

Post a Comment