Monday 7 January 2013

Good girl

Monday evenings usually mean interval training with AIK, but as I wrote last Saturday, ski lessons start tonight so I had to do some speed work on my own. And boy did I do speed work. I started at a high pace and then threw in some spurts here and there. At some point I looked at my watch at the end of such a spurt and saw that, at my quickest, I'd run at something like 3:58 min/km. That's not fast by a lot of runners' standards (say, Bolt's), but that is near death experience-fast by mine. I was running so fast that I forgot to breathe. I was running so fast that my feet hardly touched the ground. I was running so fast that I almost missed that the sky was blue and the sun was shining low on the horizon.


You see? That's why I choose to run slowly. Not because I couldn't run any faster if I wanted to, but so that I can have the time to observe the beauty of the world around me. Yeah. Let's go with that.

Speed work is not for the faint-hearted and I was relieved to look at my training schedule, which starts next Monday, and see that no speed work will be required for the first month of it. Coincidentally, that's pretty much how many interval training sessions with AIK I'm going to be missing because of ski lessons. It's great timing. Speed work is so much easier when done in a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment