Friday 22 February 2013

A step back

Some of you may have noticed it has been a few days since I last updated my blog. I have been preoccupied with a) trying to get out of the sofa after getting knocked out by fever and b) absorbing vast amounts of information at my new job. The combination of no training (= nothing to report) and mental exhaustion meant I haven't been in the mood for blogging, nor have I had time to do it.

I love writing. Whenever I sit down to write a post, I take my time, trying to put my thoughts into words and sentences in a way that is interesting and fun for you, the reader. For me it would be pointless to just dryly report on my runs. ”I did 5km in 27:43” - I know some people are interested in reading about numbers and statistics, but I'm not one of them and I write about the things I would find interesting myself. So I try to focus on what the run feels like. What I see. The experience of it and what goes through my head. The joy in my heart, the laboured breaths I take, the new places I discover. My goal is to communicate a feeling.

Whether or not I succeed is up to each and every one of you to decide. I have no way of knowing that, except through your comments. My love of writing means that, even if I never got a single comment, I would still make an effort to produce well-thought out posts because I need to write. But blogging is a wonderful thing: it allows for dialogue. And I draw great pleasure from reading your comments.

The process of creating a blog post takes time. It can take me an hour to write even a short one, and my posts are rarely short (as the ADHD-inclined ones among you surely must have noticed). Moreover, I always fix my bad mobile phone pictures in Photoshop the best I can, so that they don't inadvertently turn you blind – so you can imagine the amounts of time a single post can entail. I let it take the time it needs, because I want to be proud of the result. I don't want to do a half-arsed job just because I feel I have to update the blog and I only have two minutes to do it.

With that in mind, I realise that I need to take a step back. I can't keep turning out post after post every day, not if I want to keep writing the way I do. I just don't have the time for it now that I have a full time job. So, long story short (and the ADHD crowd would applaud at this point if I hadn't already lost them about four paragraphs earlier): I will keep updating this blog for those of you who might still be interested, but not as often as I have been doing. As it is now, the updates will mostly be about my long runs on Saturdays. I hope that you will enjoy reading these posts as much as I enjoy writing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment