Friday 9 November 2012

What's a girl to do?

I have this vague memory that I promised myself and the whole Internet a couple of weeks ago that I would take it easy with running for a while and focus on building up some strength in my whole body. I seem to recall actually setting a (rather arbitrary) limit of 30 km per week that I wouldn't cross until this maintenance/strengthening phase was over. I make grand promises like that quite often. I'm the bloody queen of grand promises. Usually when I'm injured and can't run. Strange coincidence.

Then my foot got better and I joined AIK. Now it's Friday, I have my long run ahead of me tomorrow and 27 km already behind me this week. What's a girl to do? I mean, I'd love to keep my promise but the 3 kilometres left in my running account is hardly a long run?

Unless you're Usain Bolt. Or a cat.

Cats and long distance running (and citrus fruit) don't mix

No offence to either Bolt or cats, but this particular long distance runner needs at least 20 km on those runs. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to be able to add 27+20 and find out that it is a teensy weensy bit over my weekly limit. But I feel good. In fact, I feel great. No pain or discomfort anywhere. I guess falling asleep on the sofa at 8 last night and then sleeping until 7 this morning did wonders for my recovery. In fact, the more observant among you might have noticed I never actually specified how long this maintenance/strengthening phase would last.

What's that? I always get injured just when it feels like my training is going better than ever, you say? Quick, let's change the subject!

*crickets chirping*

...aaand I got nothing. All I can think about is how the club has a run planned next weekend, to a Christmas market 16 km from here, and how badly I want to participate. They're going to stop for moose burgers (never mind that I can't eat them because I'm a vegetarian)! And look at all the Christmas tree ornaments for sale! And sip on mulled wine! And then run another 16 km home! It's going to cost me my weekly kilometre allowance but what's a girl to do? THIS IS MY IDEA OF FUN.

No comments:

Post a Comment