Wednesday 3 October 2012

Autumn state of mind

This muffin left us way too early. I wasn't even halfway through my coffee, and now I have nothing but the lingering taste of cardamom, cinnamon and ginger to remind me of it. I deserve at least 5 more of these babies after the hours I spent working in the kitchen today. But seeing as I can't even look at a muffin without gaining 10 kg (mostly because I can't look at it and not eat it), the late muffin (may it rest in my stomach) will have to do.

Having studied the sport psychology chapter of the week ahead of time, I found myself with a free day. The sun is shining and there's not even a light breeze to turn the chill in the air into full-out cold. I should be out running, but my foot still hurts and I can't even take it for a walk. Another injury! Shocking.

So I decided that this was going to be the day I tried all those delicious sounding vegan recipes from Scott Jurek's book. Well, not all of them. Just two. But trust me: I've spent all morning and the best part of the afternoon sautéing onions, chopping walnuts and unavoidably washing the resulting heap of dishes (Three times I did them. Three.) But I think the food is going to turn out great. The lentil burgers are currently in the freezer, ready to be taken out and thrown into the frying pan when the occasion calls for it, and the chilli is happily simmering, filling the flat with a longing for cold winter days.


But it's not winter yet. Autumn in Skellefteå is glorious. The whole city is on fire, yellow, red and orange flames licking the evergreens. We went out last night after J came home from work for some drive-by shooting (of photographs, silly). He had also discovered a path in the woods he wanted to show me, leading to blueberry-lovers El Dorado, a remote single-track that doesn't seem to see much action, judging by the millions of blueberry clusters still clinging to the bushes. Delicious blueberries. In October


Upon seeing the path I was overcome by this inexplicable urge to hit it running. Soft ground, roots, lush forest, trolls and immediate access to food – it was perfect. Unfortunately it will have to wait a while until my foot gets better. Unless winter gets here first.


6 comments:

  1. Om man skulle ta och åka norrut och liksom "råka" hamna i ditt kök... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Härliga Västerbotten! Och du fångar henne så fint på bild! Känns lyxigt att få följa dig. Krya på lilla fossingarna nu bara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ser underbart ut!
    Jag har ju fått för mig att det är snö redan i oktober (där uppe i norr), men ack så fel jag hade då.
    Hoppas fötterna blir bra fort! Jag har precis fått tillbaka motivation och ork till hårdare träning. Usch vad det bryter ner en mentalt när man inte orkar, men man måste lyssna till kroppen. Tycker det är trist att skriva om vanlig gymträning och "rehab" träning så jag avstår. Det är så mycket roligare att skriva om höstluften i lungorna och om hur man njuter i spåret och SNART hoppas jag kunna skriva mer om det igen.

    Har inte läst bloggar på senaste tiden så FÖRLÅT om jag är lite seg att svara. Nu har jag i alla fall läst ikapp lite.

    Kram på dig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack snälla! Ja, det är lätt att tro att man bor i ett annat land ibland, men som tur är har vi haft bra väder för det mesta. Jag gillar snö men jag hoppas verkligen att det dröjer innan den kommer :)
      Jag njuter av alla dina inlägg (och dina bilder självklart - du inspirerar!) oavsett ämne...men jag ser fram emot att läsa mer om hur det går för dig. Och att kunna skriva om det själv. Det var alldeles för länge sen nu tycker jag.
      Och du, du behöver verkligen inte säga förlåt! Jag har inte varit bättre själv. Har liksom inte kommit in i rutinerna än!
      Kram på dig med :)

      Delete