Wednesday 23 November 2011

Flow

Wednesdays are a big improvement on the whole weekday concept, compared to Mondays. They're closer to Friday, for one thing. And I have the day off. As some of you might remember, I have been trying to get another long run in on Wednesdays, not quite as long a run as Saturdays', but enough to get in some more kilometres during the week and to get my legs to be comfortable with the distance. To move my safe point a little further, so to speak.

I've had doubts whether my body would like the thought or not, but it keeps surprising me. As it turned out, not only do I survive two long runs per week, I also seem to thrive on them. Because I run relatively slowly, my body recovers quite quickly from them. And my Saturday long runs don't leave me incapacitated any more.

Did I say I run slowly? Today's run wasn't exactly slow. Even though it was slow by other people's standards, it was fast by mine. Faster than I run some tempo runs. But I couldn't help myself. The flow was there, my legs were eager and the weather conditions were just right. I didn't even look at my Garmin. Instead, I let my body fall into a natural rhythm and run at what felt like a very comfortable, easy pace. I was surprised to find out later that I had covered 18 km in under 1:40.

The highlight of my run was definitely the swarm of 30-40 blackbirds (or was it crows?) flying low over my head against a grey sky, just as I was leaving the suburbs and seeing the sea stretching out in front of me. And not getting pooped on.

4 comments:

  1. Go with the flow är bra!
    Får mig att tänka på indianerna i Born to Run.

    Men idag kändes det som det aldrig blev just dag. I Göteborg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sv: Okej, känner du att det räcker för dig med 6.5-7h sömn eller är det för att livet helt enkelt ser ut så just nu? att gå upp vid sex låter vääldigt tidigt för mig (sömntutan) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sv; Kan du inte koppla av? Låter skitjobbigt. Har du ett stressigt arbete?

    ReplyDelete